Registration, Lottery, and Screening Dates (2024-2025)
Pre-K Lottery Pre-registration - March 4 - 22, 2024
Pre-K Lottery - March 26, 2024
Pre-K Screening - May 9 & 10, 2024
Falmouth Public Schools is pleased to offer a Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) program that aspires to meet the needs of our students and community.
FES Pre-K Program Highlights
- A full day of programming (8:30am-3:05pm), 5 days a week
- Transportation to and from school
- 3 dedicated Pre-K classrooms
- Meals for students during the school day
- Play-based curriculum based on Maine Early Learning and Development Standards (MELDS)
Sample Pre-K Schedule
|Read Aloud/Morning Meeting
|Outside free play
|Intro to Centers, Centers, Thinking and Feedback
|Outside free play
Falmouth Elementary School recognizes that parent/caregiver involvement is a significant factor in improving the educational experience for all students. Falmouth Elementary School encourages parents and caregivers to become involved in their child’s education and participate in programs and events offered. The following are examples of Falmouth Elementary School’s programs and events for Pre-K families:
Spring Parent/Caregiver Pre-K Information Night
Spring Pre-K Screening/Parent Survey
Late Summer Pre-K Family Meet & Greet
Early Fall Open House
Fall Conferences and Progress Report
Mid-year Feedback Survey
Winter Progress Report
Year-end Progress Report
Parents/Caregivers are welcomed into the building as volunteers and for special events
Weekly communication with families (classroom newsletters and Principal Notes)
Various PTO events and engagement opportunities
- What is the placement process?
- What if I have twins or same-aged siblings?
- When does pre-registration for the lottery begin?
- When is the lottery?
- When will families be notified if a child is chosen in the lottery?
- How many students can enroll in the Pre-K program?
- When must I complete my students enrollment?
- Why is there a lottery process for Falmouth Pre-K?
- If my student is not chosen in the lottery, is there still a chance they will be accepted to the program?
- What age does my child have to be to attend Pre-K in Falmouth?
- Will the lottery picks be influenced by when I pre-register my student?
Program Development Background
One of our Strategic Priorities was to investigate, plan for, and implement a Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) program that met the needs of our community and integrated effectively into our schools.
In October of 2022, Falmouth Public Schools submitted a formal grant request to the Maine Department of Education (DOE) for funding to start a public Pre-K program. The Maine DOE grant allowed us to cover a wide range of start-up costs for the establishment of the Pre-K program. That support, coupled with the annual revenue received from Maine DOE’s Essential Programs and Services (EPS) per-pupil education funding allocation, will provide substantial annual funding to support ongoing program costs.
We share the aspiration to meet the needs of any and all families who wish to enroll their children in a Pre-K public school experience. To that end, we continue to look for ways to expand the number of students we are able to serve, while also recognizing the importance of fiscal prudence and managing within current space demands and constraints.
Our Pre-K classrooms must reflect the demographics of our school in the areas of socio-economic status, multilingual learners, and learners identified for special education .